Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dressed Up Like Nebraska

Last February Emily and I walked away from the Bethany auction with a getaway to Omaha, Nebraska.  Since I'd like to some day make it to every state this country has to offer and since I can't seem to think of another reason to be in Nebraska on purpose (sorry Seward fans) we were looking forward to making this trip. 

Though I mean no disrespect to Nebraska my initial thought was that I couldn't quite imagine living in a place that has no top level professional sports teams.  They do have the Royals' AAA affiliate, but since the Royals themselves are close to a AAA team it makes it more equivalent to the Royals' AA affiliate. 

Ok... so this post seems to be getting off to a "bashing" start.  I apologize to anyone I offended. Please keep reading.

Having a great love for Milwaukee, I am rather biased towards anything in Milwaukee.  I admit that.  Even when it is painfully obvious that Milwaukee lacks in a certain area I will often claim to appreciate something from Milwaukee more.  So needless to say, after almost a year of listening to Kansas City area people talk about how great the Omaha zoo is I really didn't think it would be all that much better than Milwaukee's zoo.  Well, I must say I have been humbled.  Now I know why people drive three hours from Kansas City to go to the Omaha Zoo only to return the same day.  It really was amazing.  The exhibits were designed to make you feel as though you were in natural habitats from across the globe.  And you might think they could only do a reasonable job of convincing you of that, but you really could believe it.  If I had to pick what I was most impressed with, I'd have to say their desert dome was the coolest.

While in Omaha we also went to see a game of the previously mentioned AAA Omaha Royals.  This was my first time to a AAA game and also my first time inside Rosenblatt Stadium, the home of the College World Series.  It also happens to be the final year the stadium will be used.  At the game, Emily and I were picked to participate in an on field game in which we had to pop balloons and such.  We competed against another couple and needless to say we won.  What did we win you ask? A toy truck and a drawstring bag. Seriously? Yes, seriously.  I probably would have preferred a free soda from the concession stand.  On a related topic, if you are looking for a toy truck, check ebay.  I'll be posting.

It was a quick few days but enjoyable.  All in all it is nice to be back home.  Oh yeah, we went to botanical gardens too.

1 comment:

  1. As stated by Stanford Medical, It is really the SINGLE reason this country's women get to live 10 years longer and weigh on average 19 KG lighter than us.

    (Just so you know, it is not related to genetics or some secret diet and absolutely EVERYTHING to do with "HOW" they are eating.)

    BTW, What I said is "HOW", not "WHAT"...

    TAP on this link to reveal if this brief quiz can help you release your true weight loss potential

    ReplyDelete